Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Creation of indexes

Quote Reply
Creation of indexes
Hello!

What I found is that this wonderful utility to administer databases is missing a small but an important tiny little thing and that is creating INDEX with a name. Like phpmyadmin does, it only lists and allows to drop but not to create a new one. May be it was carefully avoided!

Quote Reply
Re: Creation of indexes In reply to
Hi,

Why do you need access to the name?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

For e.g. G-Mail has different keys name in their indexes especially in the User table to that of Links SQL. If I want to use the Demographics of Links SQL User table then please tell me stepwise guidlines. Probably G-Mail forum would be the place to answer and I am placing a new thread there which may help others too.

I needed to create an INDEX called userndx keyname in the Links SQL Users table. Understand what I mean? So thats the reason I suggested.

When you have done such a contribution to the internet community then in the new version it would be better to have some more options.

Quote Reply
Hi,

You can create INDEXES or UNIQUES or PRIMARY KEYS in MySQLMan right now, you just can't give them a name.

To create an INDEX, click on the Table you want, then click on Properties, then click on Index and a MySQL index will be created.

In MySQL the name of the index is not important, and in fact is optional. It's there in Links SQL as other databases like Oracle and MS-SQL require a unique index name.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean that G-Mail and Links SQL also does not use indexes and are less important? I was under a beleif that G-mail didnot work because of different indexes of Links SQL Users table. I changed to the default user table and it worked perfect. G-Mail does not work with Links SQL v2.0, UNFORTUNATELY. (There has been no change in the script nor it is modified anywhere)

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Does that mean that G-Mail and Links SQL also does not use indexes and are less important
No, both Gossamer Mail and Links SQL use indexes. With MySQL, the name of the index is not important and can't conflict with each other.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hello Alex!

We are talking in circles now.

Cutting short......

Are you in a position to suggest a formula as to how to use G-Mail within Links SQL User tables? The moment I direct the installation to User.table of Links SQL having Username + Password as fields it does not work. The only difference is the indexes.

I have now spoken this many times and there needs to be an answer. You have carefully ommited my threads all over regarding this.

I am not able to integrate the two togather.