Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Installation problem (Permissions?)

Quote Reply
Installation problem (Permissions?)
Hi all,

I'm trying to install mySQLMan to use for a school project.
I downloaded the tar/gzip version of MySQLMan to my Win98 machine, then used SSH to upload the file to my school server(Linux). I gunzipped the file, then tar-ed it, which worked fine to uncompress the package.
The problem that I am having is that I can't run the mysql.cgi script from my browser. I get a Forbidden message saying that I don't have permission to access the file.
I tried viewing the other files in the mysqlman-1.06 directory (like README, etc.) and had no problems.
I checked the permissions on mysql.cgi and they were 0755.
I am a UNIX novice, so maybe this is all due to my lack of UNIX knowledge, but I would appreciate any help.

Dan
MIS student
Quote Reply
Re: [dkeltner] Installation problem (Permissions?) In reply to
It could be as problem with your folders permissions. What are they set to?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Installation problem (Permissions?) In reply to
The folder permissions are at 755.

(I thought of that too)

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

Can you check your error logs? Any errors you can post will help a lot. It almost sounds as if your scripts are running under the SuExec wrapper and mysql.cgi isn't owned by the correct user. This is just a shot in the dark without any error messages though. It could be as simple as not having the correct paths in the cfg or mysql.cgi or a problem with permissions as Andy suggested. Try using 775 or even 777 for the permissions and see what happens.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] Installation problem (Permissions?) In reply to
Thanks CP,

I think you are right about running under the wrapper, but I don't know the UNIX commands to check error logs. How do you do that?

Thanks,

Dan
Quote Reply
Thats a tough question. It depends on how Apache is configured. They are generally in the same place as your access logs. I have one host that puts my logs in a /logs directory off of my home directory and another that doesn't save any error logs at all. Can you e-mail the admin and ask him/her where your logs might be?

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
OK, I found the error log under /var/log/httpd/error_log, and it says that Option ExecCGI is off for this directory. Does that mean I need to get my server admin guys to give me permission to execute CGI programs?

Thanks,
Dan
Quote Reply
Sounds like you are on a raq.

You could try uploading a .htaccess with Options +ExecCGI in it but if the server guys have the server setup securely then this will cause an error and you'll need to ask them to change the Options for the site.
Quote Reply
Make sure the files are in your cgi-bin first. You will more than likely need to ask the admin to turn it on for you though. I've seen servers that allow cgi's in the cgi-bin only, not even in sub-dirs of the cgi-bin.

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
If it is a raq then CGI can be executed anywhere, although I don't know it is a raq for sure - just a hunch.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 8, 2001, 12:34 PM