Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Maximum Number of Fields?

Quote Reply
Maximum Number of Fields?
I am having problems adding tables with more than 30 fields at a time...I did search this forum for relevant Threads and the only issues I saw related to IMPORTING issues or large databases with many tables.

The problem I am having is that if I select more than 30 fields, let's say 31, the view is corrupted (the type column and assigned column only show up with some of the fields, probably associated with drop-downs and building them) and then the browser crashes (happens in both Netscape 4.6, 4.73 and also MIE 4.0 and 5.0).

Is there something in the script that could be edited to resolve this problem or am I stuck adding 25 fields at a time?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: Maximum Number of Fields? In reply to
Hi,
It's a browser and system resource problem.
If you are using Win95/98 this type of problem will
arise when there is either too many fields (in particular - list/menu fields) or too many
table rows/columns.
If you use Win NT you probably wouldn't have the same trouble.
I posted a message in this forum ("Table Limit") as I have had this problem before but didn't get any useful replies.
Simon.

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply...however, MySQL is installed in a UNIX server. So, that is not really the issue. But thanks for your reply.

I did see your Thread and I believe I added a Reply, but your problem did not seem to be the same as mine since yours deals with listing Tables, mine deals with listing fields within Tables.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi,
I am also using a UNIX server and it has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is with your browser and your operating system.
Your problem is similar to mine as both the number of tables and the number of fields can cause your browser to scramble the information and/or crash.
What OS are you using?
And what kind of fields are you using?
Simon.

Quote Reply
Uh...I see...you were not specific about client system versus server. Please be more specific in the future! Thank you.

Operating Systems
I am using UNIX (Lynx Browser), Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 95, Power Mac G4, and Mac 8.0 on four different computers. The PCs all have Pentium processors with minimal of 64 MGs of RAM. Some of them have 128 MGs. And I have noticed the crashes in varying degree on all these systems.

Field Types
The types of fields vary between ENUM (most of them are this type), TEXT, and LONGTEXT.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
On all browsers and OS's form fields take up the greatest amount of resources on your computer. I have a PIII, 600mhz with 256mb ram, If I design a form that is very large, i.e. 50 checkboxes, 30 dropdown lists, a couple of comment fields, and some textbox entry fields, and open it up in a browser on win98, win95 etc, I can watch my system resource meter go into the yellow. and make the OS unstable and crash at least the browser, if not crash the browser at least scramble the page that Im looking at in the browsers.

We had this problem with a "match maker" site that uses mysql and very large forms to gather the persons information, in the end we had to break up the form over multiple pages to allow those people that have open AOL, their antivirus and a slew of other programs in the background so that they could use the form. Again, forms are the most resource intensive items in a browser, it takes a lot of resources to render form elements.

While breaking up the pages may not help you, it may help someone else that is trying to collect large amounts of data through forms for someone else.

H

"I've got if's pretty good, but that's about it"
Quote Reply
Try creating 30+ fields using all text fields and see if it works. Try 31 first then try about 50 and see what happens.
At what point does your browser crash?
Simon.

Quote Reply
I thought my initial post was clear...it is EXACTLY 31 fields that my browser crashes...It is just annoying that I can only add up to 30 fields and then I have to go through the "Add Field" process again.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot, it really sounds like a resource problem in client end.

Heck, these programs probably wouldn't even run under Windows 3.1, because of the resource limits.

I never dove into the internals of Windows 95/98, because I never had to, and never had the desire to.

But, if you've ever done any Windows programming, you find out something very odd. Each "item" on the screen is a resource/window. A button, a side bar, a check-box, a group -- sometimes they are layered/multiple resources.

It's really interesting to watch a resource-meter program tally what your system is doing with various programs.

I realized that Windows NT 3.51 (the most current version at the time) was _NOT_ for me, when I loaded MS Word, and watched my system resources go to 90% usage DOING NOTHING! (not even an open document!)

Of course, that was the same code that randomly removed/uninstalled parts of itself, telling me I wasn't using them, so I didn't need them, and if I did, I should just install them back. Not good when the RAS system was removed, and you were running a multi-line BBS. <sigh>

I LOVE UNIX :)

but, on the other end... when I have to do form-intensive work, such as doing massing amounts of approvals/validations (where my database has 30+ fields, and I display 25 at a time) I have to do it on a _clean_ boot, and in single windows. If I start popping up other windows, all of a sudden my system becomes unstable, and I have to reboot. (This is Windows 98, current version, whatever it is, and MSIE current version, whatever that is.)

I am seriously considering adding a Unix box (or laptop) to my desk here, to see if I get better results with that. I have one windows 98 machine that crashes (cold boot) 3-4x a day, for no reason (yes, I've reinstalled it, and it behaves for awhile, then goes into this mal-adjusted behaviour again), and I have a windows 98 machine that locks up every so often, or runs out of resources if I use the browser (MSIE) and WS_FTP too often or too long in one session.

I never turn my machines off unless I have to (cold-boot) and the only time I reboot is when I figure I'm running on borrowed windows-time, or the system forces me to.

So, back to the original discussion -- it sounds like a windows/resource problem. And if you are not running this on windows, it might be a resource management problem in the browser. Each of those fancy graphical items takes up a large chunk of object/instance/data memory and a resource unit, or two, or 10. <G> It's one reason I've stayed away from Windows/GUI programming. I was never comfortable with the massive amount of wasted overhead. I like CGI/Perl stuff, where I can write lean/mean programs and it's up to the client to display it in a client-specific manner. :) (Hey... my programs _are_ leaner and meaner... they had to get their rabies shots this week!)

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://postcards.com/FAQ