Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

New version rocks!

Quote Reply
New version rocks!
Great job on the new version! It has what I needed! Thanks.

Question for you. I'd like to dump to a text file with the same appearance that we see when browsing a database. That is.. one record per line, and pipe delimited. Is this possible?

When I try to export, it adds a ton of carriage returns all over the place. (Probably because some of my data contains text with carriage returns.)

It would be real nice to get this in a single line format (one record per line) and better yet.. to list the field names in the first line.

Any ideas?

Quote Reply
Re: New version rocks! In reply to
The only way right now is to do one table at a time using the Export() function. We do have a database one in the works, but before that is a user manager for the mysql table.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: New version rocks! In reply to
Alex,

I like the dump facilities, one suggestion though.

Since most people are going to want back-up of their database, setting the CREATE TABLE and NAMED COLUMN values "on" as a default would probably be the best course of action, especially for the integrated version.

With named columns, the dump is larger, but there is no ambiguity in the import.

With "create table" statements, if the table already exists, you generate an error, but it doesn't do anything else.

Also, not having done a dump yet, if the create table statements all come at the top of the file, or --- better yet, have an option to write them to a separate file "SQL.mysql" then you have the best of all options.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Re: Carriage Returns In reply to
Thanks Alex. I guess the main problem is that some of my fields contain carriage returns, so when I export to the text file, I see the carriage returns.

I'm looking to get 1 record per line, pipe delimited. This would allow us to import this into Access or Excel.

Any ideas?

Quote Reply
How does Excel encode this right now? Try creating a spreadsheet with some fields that have new lines and what does the text file look like?

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I did a simple test with 4 fields. Excel exported to a text file like this:

IDfield1|namefield2|Description area3... hitting a new carriage return now
Next line of description area. 2 carriage returns

Last line completes here|final4
ID_2_Next record|Fred|Hello World|bye

This is similar to the way that mysqlman exports.
Problem is, we cant import this info into an Access or Excel spreadsheet.

Quote Reply
Hmm, do you know of how to import linefeeds into excel? It wouldn't be that hard to escape/translate new lines into something else I don't think, just not sure into what.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
No, I cant say that I do.