Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

installation (SSH)

Quote Reply
installation (SSH)
Before trying to install MySQLMan, a simple question.

I have two servers available, serverone.suffix is an ordinary UNIX (actually, AIX) server that runs cgi-scripts, servertwo.suffix is the one that hosts the mySQL server. servertwo.suffix is accessible only via Secure Shell (SSH).

Question: Is it possible to install mySQLMan on serverone.suffix and have it access the mysql server on servertwo.suffix? Does the answer to this question in any way depend on the SSH issue?

Thanks

kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [kellner] installation (SSH) In reply to
Yes MySQLMan on server one can access the MySQL server on server two. You need to set it up in MySQL though to allow server one to access MySQL.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 1, 2001, 8:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] installation (SSH) In reply to
thanks.
kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] installation (SSH) In reply to
OK, so I tried to install mysqlman and informs me that DBD::mysql cannot be loaded (is not in @INC).
I checked, and DBD::mysql is not installed on serverone.suffix. Installation of DBD::mysql requires a set of parameters that I don't really understand how to specify (like mysql client) given my goal to setup mysqlman on serverone.suffix and the location of the mysql server at servertwo.suffix.
I know that I have to set the LIB and PATH parameters at "perl Makefile.PL" to a local directory if I want to install a module to a private directory (which I want to do), but the mysql parameters are beyond me.
Has anyone installed DBD::mysql and give some assistance?

Also, given that the mysql server is on a different server than mysqlman, what parameters in mysql.cfg or mysql.cgi do I have to modify?

kellner
Quote Reply
Re: [kellner] installation (SSH) In reply to
To install DBD::mysql I normally use perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBD::mysql'

But if installing into a private directory it may be better to download the gzipped file from CPAN and install it from telnet.

Run MakeFile.PL and use --prefix=/path/to/private/dir

It should give you a list of options in the readme or installation file.

To setup mysql to allow you access from server 1, login to the mysql server using telnet and login to the root account and do....

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER ON database_name.* TO username@server1 IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

Something like that anyway :)