Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

mysql sharing

Quote Reply
mysql sharing
>Can mysqlman be used with only one database set up by my host?

Thank you

Quote Reply
Re: mysql sharing In reply to
Yes.

Regards,

Eliot

Quote Reply
I'm not sure what your question is.

MySQLMan can only be used on one database at a time, it doesn't have the facilities to simultaneously work with two of them. MySQL through the SQL Monitor can allow the copying between databases using something like DATABASE_NAME_1.TABLE_NAME and DATABASE_NAME_2.TABLE_NAME, the same way you use TABLE_NAME.FIELD_NAME

If you only have one database set up by your ISP, then that is all you have access to. The program doesn't give you any extra permissions to create databases if you don't have that power.

Some ISP's give a user a database with the same name as their ID. Others, are more flexible and will give you several databases with whatever name you want, or with a format of username_databasename, or some such. That depends on your hosting agreement.

If you run a dedicated server, and have your own copy of MySQL running, you can use the same copy of the program to access any number of databases that you have permissions to manage.

For instance, my local mysql has 45 different databases in it and I use both MyPHPAdmin and MySQLMan to copy tables between different databases from the "Default" and "Backups", and one system I'm working with has modified MySQLMan to work with their layout on a Cobalt Raq and makes it available to each user based on their ID/PW.

You can only be "in" one database at a time. This is a limitation carried over from MySQL, but there _are_ probably ways to use perl, and multiple "sessions" to simulate being in more than one database at a time. Makes my head spin to think about it though <G>

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
pugdog.

Thanks for the answer.

aford