Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

problem deleting record containing a pound sign (#)

Quote Reply
problem deleting record containing a pound sign (#)
Hello,

I am having a problem deleting a record (email address) which contains a pound sign (#) in it. I am getting the "modify action cannot be identified" error. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Thanks.

Bob Lorincz
Quote Reply
Re: [blorincz] problem deleting record containing a pound sign (#) In reply to
Why would you have a # sign in an email address? Is there any real reason why you couldn't use the @ (I'm assuming its because you are using user#domain.com ?) Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Do you have a primary key identified in the table that contains the record?
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] problem deleting record containing a pound sign (#) In reply to
Actually, I recently imported some data from a flatfile database which contained users email addresses. A user must have entered their address incorrectly, it was entered as "blor#@.com" and now I am unable to delete that record. I am assuming the problem has to do with the pound sign.

And yes, the primary key in that table is email address. It's just first name, last name, email address.
Quote Reply
Poor schema design if you ask...having a TEXT field as your primary key...margin of error in terms of unique identifer is larger with a TEXT field. I'd highly recommend having an auto-incremented INT field as your primary key in the table...it'll help you avoid a lot of problems like the one you've just experienced.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me