Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

querying a mysql database

Quote Reply
querying a mysql database
i am new to mysql and there is one question i can't seem to answer -- how do i setup a page for visitors to my site to use to query the database? i would like to have it so visitors can enter a search string and query the database w/o gaining backdoor access to the tables.

i have installed mysqlman for managing the database, but obviously do not want people directly accessing all admin functions of the database.

it appears on the web as though there are a number of admin programs, but i cannot find a simple solution for querying the database without giving away the keys to the city.

any help would be appreciated. i would like to be able to try a solution before paying for it, so please only recommend free alternatives, as i am only dealing with a very small database that isn't worth spending too much money on at this point.

thanks

Last edited by:

xirocco: Jan 28, 2002, 5:13 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [xirocco] querying a mysql database In reply to
I personally don't know of a way to accomplish a GUI front end within MySQLMan alone. You can, however, allow people access for viewing/searching without allowing them to edit/change your data. This is controlled by taking away rights from guest users.

For the databases that I want to allow the public to view, I allow only the SELECT privilege. Not that many people can understand this without helpful directions but it at least allows people to browse and search...

Hope this helps!

Andrew C Lietzow - The ACL Group, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [xirocco] querying a mysql database In reply to
You want to create a web front end to your database? This is possible, but it will cost you. You can either a) pay money for a programmer to code this for you - see custom jobs forum, or b) you can spend time reading and learning how to do this yourself.

Saying that, you might want to check out this document to see if it gives you any leads.

Is there any programming language you're familiar with? Perl, PHP, Java?

- wil