Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Need help on creating a specific SQL statement

Quote Reply
Need help on creating a specific SQL statement
Does anybody know how to create an SQL statement to search for a word in a expression. Here is an example: The field Catagory contains this: "CAS;Arbitrage;4;LID;Holiday Cards;DM;Client;Perspectives;MRC;Key Customer;CFD;2;Announcements"

I want to create a query that displays all the users that should receive holiday cards. But my problem is that the feild catagory contains other text. How do I create a statement such as select * from table where Catagories = Holiday Card. Is there any thing I can use to scan the catagory field for the word Holiday Cards. Please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by:

teaminfinite: Jul 8, 2002, 9:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [teaminfinite] Need help on creating a specific SQL statement In reply to
Not quite sure what you are asking. Maybe something like;

SELECT * FROM Table_Name WHERE Categories LIKE %Holiday Card%

Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Need help on creating a specific SQL statement In reply to
if the Catagory Field contains the text: "Announcements;Arbitrage;Client;Holiday Cards;MRC;MuniSolutions;Perspectives"

and i want to create a query to check if Catagory = "Holiday Cards" how can i do this.
Quote Reply
Re: [teaminfinite] Need help on creating a specific SQL statement In reply to
Using the LIKE operator as Andy showed (although should be ColumnName LIKE '%Holiday Card%'), you can find words "like" the string you are looking for.

BTW: That is pretty ugly in terms of normalization rules in SQL databases.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me