Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

View sites before DNS updates, on Plesk?

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] View sites before DNS updates, on Plesk? In reply to
You don't add a SSH account -- you add an account to your system which will be accessible through SSH.

Any program you use will interact with 'useradd' or the equivalent on your system, anyway, so you might as well SSH in as root and use the interactive useradd program. It's simple enough.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] View sites before DNS updates, on Plesk? In reply to
Or just vi /etc/passwd and change the home dir to /bin/bash (if the account exists)

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 13, 2002, 4:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] View sites before DNS updates, on Plesk? In reply to
Seriously, though .. I thought this was managed hosting. I'm on a managed hosting plan with Dreamhost (as mentioned earlier) and everything is done through a web panel -- add users, all that kinda stuff. But if I need anything installed I can either do it myself or a quick email to the support team and it's guaranteed to be done by end of the day.

In my mind that's the definition of managed hosting, and I love it. Because I'm the first to admit that I ain't a system administrator guru, and I'm bound to get a few things wrong, that's why I leave it to the guys and girls in charge of my managed hosting.

If I was you, I'd fire off an email asking exactly what their definition of managed hosting is, and why won't they install a critical security patch to Apache. Surely, if I was the network administrator I'd go out of my way to install this patch -- after all, if someone does launch a DOS attack of you it's likely to affect a large proportion of the network, not only your box. If he is happy with that thought in his head -- then I'd seriously consider moving hosts.

- wil
Quote Reply
Oh.. And while you're at it; warn your network upstream provider that there is a possible DOS attack imminent and the network administrator / support staff don't care ...

- wil
Quote Reply
>>>I thought this was managed hosting.<<<

As I said in my other thread, I was looking at DreamHost and Catalog.com, which were managed hosting...but this one at RackShack isn't (well, what can you expect for $99 a month Wink)...anyway...my matre has agreed to install those patches for me, and TBO I don't relly mind that it had an old version of Apache installed...as long as I have the means and access to upgrade it, thats not a major problem Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
OK. That's fair enough. But this latest security risk should be patched up, IMO.

- wil
Quote Reply
Could I ask why you moved server in the first place...I thought you said Tier1 were really great?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] View sites before DNS updates, on Plesk? In reply to
They were...if I had known they were brining on more support staff (the have michal, and someone else now)...then I wouldn't have got the new server. I was just fed up of the way everything stopped working, and I very rarely got a reply from support!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
> >