Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

html.pl mod

Quote Reply
html.pl mod
I was helping a new user to set up her html.pl file and remembered the problems I had before I had some idea about Perl. So I went through and revamped the html.pl file a bit. Some of the changes are cosmetic, but the biggest thing I did was add another script with a couple of subroutines that define the beginning and end of all of the html that DBMan produces. By using the script, you only have to define the format once for all pages and if you use multiple instances of DBMan on your site, you can use the same file for a coordinated look to your pages. The general default look to DBMan hasn't changed much -- just a couple of very minor things.

If anybody's interested, let me know and I can make the files available.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Re: html.pl mod In reply to
That will be very useful! I would
like to get the mod! pls make it available!
Quote Reply
Okey-dokey. You can pick it up at

http://www.drizzle.com/~hall/dbmod/user.html

There's a little demo you can check out to show you that it works.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Ooh great, last night I've edited the
html.pl for many hours.
Ans today I found your solution :-) or :-(

one question:
why a new format.pl file?

can't you integrate the subs into the html.pl ?

regards,
Hans-Peter
Quote Reply
The reason I added the format.pl script is for people (like me) who run more than one database. You can make changes in the format.pl script that will apply to all your databases, instead of having to edit all the html.pl scripts.

You certainly can move the subroutines to html.pl if you want to. Be sure to move the global variables at the beginning of the format.pl script to the beginning of html.pl -- under
# Put any globals you like in here for your html pages.

Sorry you spent so much time on it, but think of it as a learning experience. Smile

------------------
JPD