Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

why URLs not linked?

Quote Reply
why URLs not linked?
i loaded the demo dbman dataset on my server twice now... and everything works fine except the URLs in the database entries are not linked (clickable)...

i searched the past entries in this forum for help... but no luck

any thoughts from you pros on what i can do would be appreciated... thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: why URLs not linked? In reply to
In html.pl under sub html-record, make sure you have:

<TR><TD ALIGN="Right" VALIGN="TOP"><$font_color>URL: </FONT></TD>
<TD> <$font><A HREF="$rec{'URL'}">$rec{'URL'}</A></Font></TD></TR>
Quote Reply
thanks for the reply! i double checked your code... it is there... but still not clickable...

here is the db_def in the config file:
URL => [2, 'alpha', 40, 255, 1, 'http://', '^http://'],

that is the the db_def that came with the demo (untouched by me)

??? any other thoughts??
Quote Reply
If you are using the autogenerate feature of DBMan, the URL will not be linked. Try turning autogenerate off. The html_record in the demo has the linking URL structure in it.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
JPD, you are the master! It worked. Thanks very much!!! I appreciate your good will.

So what does auto generate forms do? I thought that had to be turned on unless I coded all my own view/add/delete/etc. forms.
Quote Reply
:-D Make that mistress and I'll accept the compliment!!! Smile

Quote:
So what does auto generate forms do? I thought that had to be turned on unless I
coded all my own view/add/delete/etc. forms.

Autogenerate forms takes the fields from the .cfg file and makes forms out of it. No nice formatting or anything. The only real use for it as far as I can see is to check out to make sure your .cfg file is working.

If you want to have clickable links (and nice looking forms and record displays), you will have to create your own html_record_form and html_record subroutines. It's really not hard to do, though, if you use the ones from the demo as a template.

------------------
JPD