Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished!

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished! In reply to
  I agree, I don't want to scare CEGlobe out of releasing this script because of a couple of bucks...
The sooner its released the better. By the way -> its more then $16.00 Tassie, you are making those figures up.. I admit that the $50 was a bit of an exageration, but it does end up being about $35 dollars.

Anyway - CEGlobe, your choice.
Quote Reply
hehe.. (why are we talking about money?)

anyways.. my dad's company.. whenever they pay for something.. ie "computer" or something that is used for their business.. it's deducted from taxes.. that's how i get to use the computer all the time for so little Smile and if you noticed.. my cgi programming is also revenue for the company.. in which we currently need.. cause my dad is still programming his mega site (in which i doubt will ever be out.. hehe)

that's why i asked everyone to write the checks out to Infimax.. Smile

and arn't businesses the ones that could afford anything?! Smile

anyways.. tassies right.

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
guys...

the biggest costs in writing a check is the labor to write it, verify it, mail it, balance the books when it comes in, etc, etc.

In larger companies the purchase request can involve a hour or more of time on the part of a half dozen people.

For a company it's more than sticking $5 in an envelop, since the paperwork to flag the ownership to the company still has to be done -- and can't be paid from personal funds. If you then try to collect your $5 back, you can spend an hour in paperwork to do it.

When I was in NY, some of the ambulance drivers were always complaining about when they had to bring a van in for it's annual servicing. They had to strip it bare -- anything movable. They figured they spent about 100 man hours to strip and restore the contents of a van for each servicing. Some of that on Overtime. _BUT_ they could justify the $2000 in overtime _not_ the replacement of a $5 part that might get lost or stolen while it was in the shop.

That's a reality. That's why big corporation and business don't buy $5 and $10 items. That's why MC/Visa have minimum charges. It's all a point where overhead becomes reasonable to do it.

Where you don't see $5 as a big deal, it's a major stumbling block for a lot of people.

I had a business where the average by-mail transaction was under $10. My postage costs were my single biggest expense -- so I though. When I looked into the labor required to package and mail those packages, I simply closed down. I was losing money and didn't realize it. I'm sitting with probably $20,000 in inventory that it's too expensive to sell. Until I have time to make it a hobby, for recreation, it's just going to sit.

If he wants to charge, fine. It will prevent a lot of people from using the program. If he decides it's not working, and makes it 'free' or 'voluntary' those who were 'forced' to pay will feel cheated, so the program may not be released, and will just sit.

If you want to pay him for his work, write a check for what you think it's worth, or offer him something else.

Whomever said banners has the right idea. It's easier to slip a 'free' banner into a rotation than it is to write a check. Not everyone is their own boss with their hands on the checkbook.

Quote Reply
How about, instead of everyone paying $5 or $10, we have to run 1 or 2 thousand impressions advertising your site??? In australia, it costs alot in
a) postage
b) Getting a check
c) Converting the money to US

It would cost me about $45 or $50 to pay for the bloody thing...

Or how about making it freeware, and wack a copyright symbol and a little ad down the bottom...

Thanks my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Pugdog is right,

This forum was created for the sole purpose of sharing the ideas of modifications done to the Links 2.0 script. Although, Links 2.0 was created as an open script. What I mean is, that people have access to make necessary changes to it and post ther ideas to improve and inform other users.

By charging people for these MODS, I would think its a breach in what terms go with using the Links 2.0 script. If anyone is to profit from MODs, it should be Alex. Other than that, I really dont like seeing great Modification ideas that have price tag, on this forum.

I would understand though, having your own site to promote your Mod. That should be done, free of any "promotions" done in this forum.

------------------
BeatBox Entertainment
beat-box.com
Ron Newbigging

Quote Reply
The header for this forum says.
Quote:
Taking your installation to the next level -- custom modifications, code hacking, etc.
No where in it does it say it must be no-charge. I just purchased Widgetz Expired Mod. It is well worth what he asked and I'm glad I found it. Which gets to my point... Sure, I prefer FREE, but I'd rather have all the mods listed here in the forum, where we can see their progress and find them with search, etc.

Bob
Quote Reply
no more talk about money please!

OR BRING IT TO JERRY SPRINGER!! :P

hehe..

anyways.. my review script is coming along now.. i have to decide though.. SHOULD I HAVE A USER DATABASE?

cause with one.. you only get less users.. Smile
without one.. boy you can get scary results..

jerry
Quote Reply
Hello,

OK, CEGlobe and Widgetz - which one of you guys use an external database for storing the reviews. That is what I prefer and I hope that is how you have done it.

WIDGETZ,

What do you mean by a USER DATABASE? I hope the system is such that, the admin can validate a review before posting it or easily delete unwanted reviews.

I don't have a problem with a small payment as long as it is reasonable.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
i beleive we both do.. hehe.. i use review.def, review.db, and reviewid.txt just like links does with it's links

i'm still working on my html and stuff.. but it's viewable at:

http://www.pdamania.com/review.cgi?ID=1001

i should be done really soon..

mine is custimizable.. you can add any field you want.. and edit the layout anyway you want..

keep in mind.. this is just a draft of the final version.. hehe.. the pdamania rating isn't even real.. hehe and the reviews don't even sort yet.. Smile

anyways.. what you guys should like about it.. it's free..

btw.. graph is built based on percentage.. not amount of reviews.. i didn't want it to build a mumbo jumbo graph 300 inches high.. hehe

jerry
Quote Reply
I'll do waht tassie said. I will release the scripts tonight once I write some readme's, and they'll be $25 shareware. That includes installation and support.

I'll add in a little something that will let you have up to four ratings, and as little as one. That's the best way I can think to make everyone happy.

------------------
Quote Reply

I do not make things up and I do not like being accussed of it.

I actually sent widgetz money and it cost me $8.00 for the International Money Order. It doesn't matter our much money you send the Order only costs $8.00 and the postage only cost me $1.75, as for the actual money I sent thats between be and jerry. But the conversion rate as of today is.

$1.00AUS is worth $0.6377USD

The only people making things up are the people trying to find ways for not paying.

Most of you guys are using these Mods on Sites to help you make Money.

Yet you are trying to SHAFT the guys who are making the MODS.

That STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN.

As widgetz said no pay no get!!
And if CEGLOBE is doing it the shareware way good on him to.

------------------
tassie
webmaster@scriptfarm.com
www.scriptfarm.com
Quote Reply
I have finished them (I hope):

http://www.ceglobe.com/download/reviewmod/

They are shareware. Read the readme.txt file before you do anything else.

That's about it.

Oh yeah, I have yet to make any easy way to add new fields. I can do it for you if you like, or you need to modify multiple areas in the scripts.

------------------
Quote Reply
What is the difference between the normal and UBB version?

Never Mind, I saw it. Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com

[This message has been edited by Ground Zero (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
mucho bugo Smile

anyways.. i am releasing review me tonight..

jerry
Quote Reply

Quote:
Most of you guys are using these Mods on Sites to help you make Money.
Yet you are trying to SHAFT the guys who are making the MODS.

Now, that is unfair. No one is shafting anyone.

And as for 'making money'... There is an old chinese proverb that says "never count what is in my pocket." It goes hand-in-hand with walking a day in another's shoes.

Code goes much further when it's free. Someone who is trying to do something, and can't afford it can use it, and you'd be suprised how many people pay for things above what it 'costs' because of the time it's saved.

As always, the market decides --- but how many of you have found a good program, only to find it's website gone. No more support, no more access.. and because it was not a 'free' program, legally it can't be used, and the code re-distributed -- and all you needed was a tweak??

There are a dozen or more programs I'd be using, or would have used, but I needed one more change to the code. Most of the changes were trivial... but not possible.

SO much code has gone to waste over the years.

Anyway. This discussion has wandered from modifications to economics.

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Links 2.0 Registered Verion $150
Widgetz Expirator Mod $10
CEGlobe Review Mod $25
The low maintenance high paying site made: Priceless

Almost priceless that is.
8-)
Quote Reply
In my opinion of how things are going with Links, mods for it should be free. If Links never existed, no one would be making mods. Alex has made this entire script freeware if you would put a link back to gosssamer threads. Otherwise, you pay the dough. Why don't people who make mods do the same way?

I am not sure about you guys, but making mods for money on another commercial product sounds wierd if you ask me. . .

Just my 2 cents Smile

------------------
www.techdevelopers.com
ASP, HTML, CGI, Flash, and more!

HPCalc.com - English
Official HP Calculator Site
www.hpcalc.com/english

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Keep in mind that without mods, links wouldn't be as big as it is now -> and growing. Alex said the script was open and that you could make mods for it but never said you couldn't money for them. Its like the Netscape software. They offer the source code free for companies to customize and even give a kit for it. They don't exclude money making for their software, which is worldly known.

------------------
------------------------------------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
http://www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org
Quote Reply
my expirator is $5.. and there is a free one... (reason i made it so you guys wouldn't complain :P)

btw.. i am pretty much done with my review mod.. i am going to add span pages and make it so you can put it on your detailed pages..

anyways.. you can add reviews

http://www.pdamania.com/review.cgi?ID=1001

and validate them here:

http://demo:demo@www.pdamania.com/admin/

tell me if anything else is needed.. i am going to make a few changes to the validate.. cause the Delete. Email Reason this is annoying Smile

Jerry

Quote Reply
Widgetz,

Are you going to have the star system?

Can you have multiple ratings (site design, sales, support) for a single ID/Link?

Also, I guess one can have the review form on a seperate page, right?

I would like the second one definitely -- multiple.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited August 05, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Jerry was telling me that on CEGlobes Review Mod it uses a different review script so it would not update Alex's rate.cgi db. (Something Like that, you get the idea)

So if you have links that show the amount of votes and the rating, CEGlobes mod will not update that.

CEGlobe, is this true?

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
ICQ # 44147229

Quote Reply
socrates.. yea

i already have multiple rating..

the star system.. ok.. i'll put that in.. it's not hard Smile

i haven't worked on it for an hour now.. been replying to my email. hehe

jerry
Quote Reply
hello.. ok i inserted the little star system.. except mine's called the "boot" system.. no.. hehe that's cause i used those boots.. the red start didn't look that good.. i'll make my own as soon as i get time..

i also made that mod hmm.... about well.. 50+ lines shorter.. hehe

i'll email the guy that made it about that..

i'm getting tired though.. not sure if i can get it with a readme tonight.. sorry bout that.. sorry aussies (the only ones awake right now Smile)

i'll see..

jerry
Quote Reply
Nice mod... keep up the good work! Smile
TimRyan

[This message has been edited by timryan (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
hi.. it took me one night to think of a great comeback to pug's little money talk.. Smile

well see.. the only reason WE (the programmers) would like to charge money is because WE (the programmers) spent time on it as YOU (the want free programs) sit there and go "oh boy, can't wait!".

Now to us $5 - $20 is a very little charge. I charged $5 on Expirator because no one else has ever done so and I felt that it was very minimal.

So YOU (the want free programs) doesn't feel what WE (the programmers) feel when we script the script. So YOU (the want free programs) don't know the time WE (the programmers) spent on the script or any complex thoughts WE (the programmers) put into it.

Businesses have payroll and they get deductions from tax. It doesn't matter to a business of a price around $5. But it what you are saying about the $35 just to issue a $5 check. Then boy.. why are you running a business anyway? TO EARN PROFITS! and why would you buy a script if it's useless to you in your money making oppurtunities.. Of course you are going to earn your money back. As for the other people.. it will pay off in ad revenue or something like that.. only being $5..

ok.. Smile i'm done..
> > > >