Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished!

(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished!
 http://www.ceglobe.com/...re/review.cgi?ID=298

It now fully supports templates, and I think I have squashed all the bugs. Feel free to test it out at the URL above. I will offer two versions (one that requires ubb members, and one that only requires an email address).

Please use (for the demo) the user and pass:

test

Enjoy.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished! In reply to
*THAT* is a mod to be proud of!!

5 stars!
Quote Reply
I agree. 5 stars. Smile

But there is a small bug. When I click "Add your review!", I get a 404 page not found error. The reason is that there are spaces in the title of that link.

I think

Code:
http://www.ceglobe.com/newsoftware/addreview.cgi?ID=298&URL=&Title=Warrior CE 2

needs to be changed to

Code:
http://www.ceglobe.com/newsoftware/addreview.cgi?ID=298&URL=&Title=Warrior+CE+2

Also, after the user adds a review, can you send him/her back to the main review page instead of the add review form page?

[This message has been edited by t_dog (edited August 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
When I click "Add your review!", I get a 404 page not found error

I had put in some code I didn't need. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Also, after the user adds a review, can you send him/her back to the main review page instead of the add review form page?

After someone adds a review, it sends them to the add_success.html template. You can put whatever you want in it.

Now I have to make an admin section! :-(

------------------
Quote Reply
WOW! Smile

It looks awesome. I can't wait for its release.

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
Let me ask something, and don't get mad at me for asking it.

Would you feel that a registration of $5 or $10 is ok?

I put a lot of effort into this and would just like something back. I am also making an admin validate.

------------------
Quote Reply
 For me the only problem that charging for modules cause is that I live in Brazil and I donīt know how to pay...
Itīs difficult for me to pay...
Quote Reply
I would be willing to pay. The script looks great.

Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
One question:

Do you care if it builds static .html pages, or if all reviews are called by review.cgi?ID=xxx ?

I am having trouble getting the html pages to build, and the current way works very well as is.

??

------------------
Quote Reply
No choice really.

As long as it works, right. Smile

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
It sure does look nice CEGlobe. You've obviously put a lot of time into it. Great job!
Quote Reply
My I make a suggestion in regards to payment.

Make it like shareware They can freely download it and use it but must register and pay a amount if they require support and installation. It is only fair you pay for support has it takes up the creators time and that is worth something. I am certainly willing to pay for that and I am actually in the process of doing so.

------------------
tassie
webmaster@scriptfarm.com
www.scriptfarm.com
Quote Reply
CEGlobe,

Great job. Its a pleasure to know that there are people out there to make things a little easier for the rest of us.

How do we get the code? And do you have a doc on how to successfully install it.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Shawn
Quote Reply
This is a really nice script. I am impressed to see the level of professionalism that links 2.0 community gives. Yes, $5 or $10 is bargain for the functionality you get with it. Is it possible to have additional fields added when rating?

Also, when you click next on the demo, the number of ratings changed from 28 to 26.

Quote Reply
Hi CE,

Is it possible to have multiple ratings for a review/ID. Like different ratings for "site design, sales, support, etc.,". So that you can have dropdown menus for three or four different factors. This will make it a fantastic tool. However, still looks good as it is.

Thanks
Quote Reply
CEGlobe,

From my point of view, and realize this is my point of view, realistically it's a pain in the butt and contra productive.

For businesses, trying to get a $5 payment done costs about $40. Even a small business like mine would cost about $25 to generate a $5 check.

Also, it would restrict the use of the code, and thus future widespread use, etc., etc., etc.

Suddenly there is a movement to get away from free code modes and alterations. Pretty soon we'll be looking at $40 here, and $50 there, and then no one will be willing to offer up suggestions, and fixes without sticking a price tag on it.

Part of the goodness here is the open source nature of the product. What happened if people stopped answering questions because it would give away their 'secrets' free, rather than paying for the code.

As you said, your TIME is what you want to recoup, so why not charge people for that -- for the service of installing it for them? Support contracts and special customizing?

If you look at CGI-RESOURCES which programs get the most downloads, votes and highest ratings? The commercial ones, or the free ones that people use, feedback, bugs get squashed? A commercial program has to be heads and shoulders above the others to get ranked (a few do).

I find if I buy a program, I want it to work. If I download a program, I'm more willing to put up with ideosyncracies or bugs, and invest the time to fix it -- and even feedback bug fixes to the author. If I have to pay for it --- well.... that changes. The feeling of 'giving' goes away.

The SQL is a prime example... it's commercial code, so few people use it, and fewer talk about it, and very little 'free' mods are done. Everyone is waiting -- some impatiently -- for Alex to get it working.

Some people are going to take advantage of 'free' anything. Those people can be politely asked to purchase 'time.' I've gotten most of my ideas from suggestions or requests people made, and from my users who make simple suggestions I hadn't thought about. One made 2 days ago increased the number of ratings on my site 2-3 fold overnight, and might actually finally populate a Top-10 <G>.

It's a great mod, don't get me wrong. I'm just not keen on the $5 and $10 idea.

I know I spend more than $10 of time a day reading and replying to this board. I'm sure you do too. Where is _most_ of your time spent -- in the coding, or the support?

Quote Reply
hi sorry to say... Smile

but my code is also ready.. hehe :P

best of all.. it's free..

review.cgi itself is done. all i need to do is make some templates and stuff.. (html stuff)

anyways.. i will post a message on this forum about it in the next 2 days.. it's called Review Me

Jerry
Quote Reply
Pugdog makes some good points except for one thing. I use a third party credit card processor (who also accepts 1-900 and online cheques)and the overhead processing charges are only 15% (20% for 1-900). So it would cost $.75 for each $5.00. Just thought I should throw that in.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
15% :0

Man thats expensive

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
any chance your date thing is broken?

they all say aug 5.. when they were posted aug 4 Smile
Quote Reply
let's put it this way..

Don't want to pay.. Don't get it..

pug.. mine is practically done.. the only thing that will be a MAJOR problem.. is you have to clear your rate.db file.. so the calculations will be right for the new one..

i don't see why $5 can't be spent out of your own wallet either Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Widgets --- the reason is then the corporation or business doesn't own it. It's a legal thing, and I tried to show why putting a $5 or $10 tag on something might do more harm than good.

Everyone can and maybe will try it, whether they use it or not, if it's free. If it's not, a lot of people won't even look at it. More can be lost that way in potential revenue from custom mods or installs.

One 2 hour install or custom mod would pay for all the registrations he might or might not get at $5 each.

I think it's a great mod (see comment #2), I think he can do what he wants, but he ASKED for comments on charging, and I gave them, and tried to clarify them.

Quote Reply
Michael_Bray.

I am from australia and you are way over the make on the cost.

International Money Order $8.00
$5.00AUD to $5.00USD $6.85
Postage $1.75
Total $16.60

And that I do not consider a lot to pay these guys who make these great MODS for us to use. GEE they spend hours and days making these Mods and you guys begrudge them a little to help them with there effort. They do have expenses They got to pay there ISP for the time they spend answering your emails for help and on this forum.You shoud not go through life expecting everything for nothing!!!

SO COME ON YOU GUYS DON'T BEGRUDGE THEM A BIT OF HELP WITH THERE EXPENSES!!!

------------------
tassie
webmaster@scriptfarm.com
www.scriptfarm.com
Quote Reply
Guys, you miss the point completely. I'm not talking about costs of money orders, or conversion rates, but costs in actually generating a payment (check).

In order to authorize/process a charge in a business there is a lot of overhead.

From a business point of view, it's better to pay a person $50 or $100 for 'consulting' fees to get something done, than it is to try to get a $5 'license' fee paid.

I don't begrudge him his work -- I too get paid for my work (time). There are just some things that are worth charging for, and some things that it's more of a problem than benefit.

At $5 or $10 the costs to administer a registration system might even exceed the costs in time it took to create the program.

It just doesn't make sense to me for $5 or $10 to start putting up roadblocks to the free exchange here, and I feel it's moving the spirit of the forum in the wrong direction.

I'm not attacking anyone -- he asked a question, and I gave my answer. $5 or $10 undervalues the programmer's efforts, and it just puts up road blocks to the code being used. Put out your best code, and charge your going rates for your work. Your code is your best advertising and marketing tool.
Quote Reply
pugdog.

GEE $25.00 to produce a $5.00 check you do have large overheads. how much does it cost to produce a $50.00 check.

I to run a business and anything I pay these guys becomes a tax deduction.

I remember a POST by WIDGETZ about charging for is mods and the same thing happened, people trying to get out of paying anything.

pugdog i think you miss the piont, if you cann't afford to write a check send them a $5 0r $10 voucher for something or greenstamps. How much will that cost to produce.

Anyway this is getting away from what the forum is all about, and I want be discussing this anymore.

So you guys who can afford and it doesn't cost much to produce send these guys something to help them out.

------------------
tassie
webmaster@scriptfarm.com
www.scriptfarm.com
> >