> >
Quote Reply
Comments2... great mod few forgettings?
Hello

i've installed Glenn's Comments2 mod Laugh
but i've got few errors :

* when i tried to add a comment like a visitor,
i've got the following error :
Error Message : error in process_form. unable to open id file: commentid.txt Reason: No such file or directory

* When I tried to add, modify, view and delete review with administration board, i've got the following error :
fatal error: Can't locate /home/c03531/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/cvalid.def at /home/c03531/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/admin.cgi line 55.

So i've renamed comments.def to cvalid.def,

Now it's okay except for "add":
error in get_defaults. unable to open id file: /home/c03531/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/comments2id.txt
So i've renamed commentsid.txt to comments2id.txt.

But there is any information in :

- commentsval.db, there are some comments (Edge is a good site of emulation Wink)
1|5|The Edge|http://theedge.org.uk|Rom_Sites|ty|gru@fbf.fdg.fg|17-May-2000|Rom_SiteGHGHGFs|Yes
2|5|The Edge|http://theedge.org.uk|Rom_Sites|ytry|gru@fbf.fdg.fg|17-May-2000|Rom_SiteGGHGFs|No

- In commentsdb.txt there is some spaces

- In modified.db there are :
437|AJ's Game Room|http://www.homestead.com/ajsgameroom/gameroom.html|22-Jul-2000|Consoles|Tons of Roms for systems like N64, Game boy, Jaguar, Arcadia 2001, Atari, and many others. And you Can win Free stuff just for visiting like a Dreamcast, PS2, and Cash.|AJ|Covertops99@aol.com|286|No|No|0|0|Yes||||No|dittomax|43|No||0|0|0|0|0
617|Weblinkplaza.com|http://www.weblinkplaza.com|13-Aug-2000|Webmaster_Resources|A link directory website with more then 850 categories.|martijn moes|webmaster@weblinkplaza.com|2|Yes|No|0|0|Yes||||No|webmoes|1|No||0|0|0|0|0
110|Lucullus' Site of Emulation|http://lucullus.freeservers.com|1-Sep-2000|Consoles|Emulators and Roms for NES, SNES and Sega Genesis. No Dead links and updated often. Easy to use. Latest Romcount: 473 Roms and rising!|Lucullus|lucullusemu@hotmail.com|513|No|No|7.72|52|Yes|http://findarom.emusanet.com/image/hq.gif|40|15|Yes|luc|69|No||0|0|0|3|0

I've erased all this informations, and now it seems allright Laugh

-------------------

I've got few questions:

1) Should modified.db, commentsval.db, commentsdb and comments2id.txt be blanked?

2) how have "validate" review option in administration board?
With adding <a href="$db_script_url?db=cvalid&validate_form=1">Validate</a>

in admin_html.pl?

3) i don't find comments_breakdown.html

Thanks Glenn for your mod!!!
This mod is wonderfull Laugh

Sorry 4 my english

Ciao

Quote Reply
Re: Comments2... great mod few forgettings? In reply to
1) Should modified.db, commentsval.db, commentsdb and comments2id.txt be blanked?

Yes, sorry that was my fault I've uploaded the test ones.

2) how have "validate" review option in administration board?
With adding <a href="$db_script_url?db=cvalid&validate_form=1">Validate</a>

No you don't need that it works in a different way to the lins val option. Please see the bottom of the other thread for more info.

in admin_html.pl?

3) i don't find comments_breakdown.html

I'll add it asap!

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/
Quote Reply
I've uploaded the new zip file with the changes. I've changed comments.def to cvalid.def
and renamed path at the top of the cgi scripts.
I've also added an example of comments_breakdown.html

'Error Message : error in process_form. unable to open id file: commentid.txt Reason: No such file or directory'

Means either you haven't got the file commentsid.txt in the path as specified in links.cfg ($db_comments_id_file_name)
Or you haven't given it the right permissions (666 or 644)

Cheers for letting us know the problems. Let us know how you get on with it.Smile

One last thing I should mention: If your using the ratings breakdown and because it's now writing the ratings to links.db:

In comments_modify.html (if using the modify option) put the Rating field as a hidden value.

Also if using the ratings breakdown you could do the following: Use a reset script (search the forum for this)
to reset the ratings in links.db then the ratings breakdown will be correct. Also I'd get rid of the rate it tag in link.html so visitors can only rate a site when they review/comment on it.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello Glenn

Thanks for your help Laugh

I don't test with the new zip,
but i've got the following error when I, like a visitor, try to add a comment a link that i have commented recently, OR when I don't fill in all fields :

Unkown Tag: ID

Any idea?

thanks

Quote Reply
Can you give me the url to your site and I'll look at it.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello

1) If I don't want to see "Unknown tag : ID"
i have to erase in comments2error.html :
<input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>">

But i don't understand why the error message (unknow tag :id) doesn't appear when I comment a like with success,
because there is <input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>"> in comments2_add.html.

So can I erase in comments2error.html :
<input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>"> ?

2) I've another question :
Is it normal that i've got the same error when I don't fill out the form and when I tried to comment a link 2 times?

"Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again!"

Is there a way to put :
" Sorry, you've commented this link recently" like for rate.cgi? when I try to comments a link 2 time.

3) And now i've got a new problem :
ie : i try comment a link but i forget to fill out some fields, like name.
There will be the error message and now i could not comment this link, except if I used back bottom 2 times, and i reclick on "comment this link".

(i've erased in comments2error.html :
<input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>">, is it the problem? but if I didn't erase it, i've got unknown tag : ID...)

Thanks for your help

ciao

PS: don't hesitate to tell me if I was not clear
Ps2: Perhaps i've made a mistake Wink
Quote Reply
In answer to your first question yes you could just put the tag <%error%> into your comments add error page.

In answer to your second question.

Think I know what you mean here, I'll have a look at into it. Prob I just need to rearrange comments_add.cgi a bit.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello Glenn,

thanks for your quicly reply Laugh
Thanks for rearrange comments_add.cgi, you're a cool man !

sorry for all my questions,
but I've got one last :
- is it normal that : when i've got an error after i try to comment a link (because i don't fill out the form correctly), then i can't success with a correct filled out form ?

Thanks

Regards

PS : i'd like to test this trouble on your site, couldn't i?
If yes i'll comment Dave classic's site my favorite Wink
or perhaps in a test site?

Quote Reply
- is it normal that : when i've got an error after i try to comment a link (because i don't fill out the form correctly), then i can't success with a correct filled out form ?

No it's not normal! On my site if you get an error the first time you can still submit a second time etc..

PS : i'd like to test this trouble on your site, couldn't i?
If yes i'll comment Dave classic's site my favorite
or perhaps in a test site?

Yeah you can test it on my site.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Just to let you know:

Have just noticed one prob with csearch.cgi
I'll sort it out soon!

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
I've edited csearch.cgi, you can now choose how many reviews/comments to display per page. I've posted the updated zip.

I will also at some point in the future change it so that list all is done by different script. I'll also in the future include instructions on how to make it display comments/reviews for each link and also put the ratings breakdown on the same page such as this:

http://findarom.emusanet.com/...amp;LID=164&nh=1

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Quick question, I have installed the scripts, but keep getting the following error:

Error Message : Unable to copy commentsval.db. Reason: No such file or directory
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
I have chmodded the commentsval.db to 666 and 644 and 755 and 777, still get the same error. I even used the actual virtual path to the commentsval.db in the links.cfg, still no luck... any suggestions??

Trust in your elders, for they hold the key to life...
Quote Reply
Strange, not sure cause it sounds like you've done what I'd suggest! You could alter it so that it doesn't need to copy the script accross. (Ie. take off the validation option). The quickest way to do this is to change the paths at the top of the cgi scripts to point to comments.db

Delete the addition made to nph-build.cgi

Also change the part in admin_html.pl so all of them point to comments instead of cvalid.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello

Thanks for all your replies Glenn Laugh

I've tested on your site :
- If I filled out all lines of the form at the first time, i've got succeded the comment. (snesmax)
- but if I left blank all the form,
then I've got the error message and a new form,
with only 3 fields (name, email and description)
Now if I filled out correctly the form i'll always have
the error message :
"Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again! Your rating '' is invalid."

COuld U test this on your site please :
left blank the form, have the new form with only 3 fields,
and try to have success msg.

thanks

Thanks for the new features Laugh

Jude

Quote Reply
Oh i forget,
i've got no troubles with csearch.cgi, (except that i have to put the path of links.cfg, but it's not a problem)
but i don't try the search by review at the moment.

I've just reinstalled the new zip:

1)When I made an error in my comment, i've still got the error
Unknown tag : ID, so I've erased code with ID in comments2_error.html.

2)But i've still got the problem :
when I made an error in comment, i can submit a second form with success.
like in your site when I tested it Wink

3) In administration board, with "add a comment", i've got the error :
unable to open id file: /home/c03531/cgi-bin/links/cgi-bin/admin/comments2id.txt.
Reason: No such file or directory.
I've renamed commentsid.txt to comments2id.txt and it's allright.

4) I've seen few stuffs in :
- csearch.cgi
require "$db_lib_path/comments.def";
require "$db_lib_path/site_html_templater2.pl
Should I put cvalid.def and site_html_templates.pl? i think yes.

- commentsid.cgi
require "$db_lib_path/links.def";
Should I put links.def or cvalid.def?

Thanks again for your mod Laugh

Quote Reply
Hello Kilroy,

yesterday i've got the same message,
because there was few informations in commentsval.db,
but i think there is no problem with the new zip.
Have U the new zip?
or just erase blank space or characters in commentsval.db if there are any!
Perhaps U don't have put the good path of commentsval.db in links.cfg or U should put in admin directory. Yesterday i put in in data directory and i've got the same message as U.

Ciao

Quote Reply
1. Yep erase it and replace wih <%error%>

2. Still not sure about this one. I'll test it again on my site.

3. Sorry my fault!

4. Yeah change it, again I was in a rush to get the updated file up.

5. No leave it as links.def

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello

thanks for all Glenn Laugh

Have U got the same problem on your site with sumit after an error? when I tried it on your site, i've got the error,
i've got the cable, but i don't think it's the cause of trouble...

I've always few questions, sorry Tongue
1) I don't find intructions on how to display an image to the rating and to have breakdown on the zip file...

2) what are ID and LID in comments.def?
How use them?

Thanks again

Quote Reply
1) I don't find intructions on how to display an image to the rating and to have breakdown on the zip file...

No but did you read the instructions on my site (extra options)..........

2) what are ID and LID in comments.def?
How use them?

ID = Review ID number (unique to each review/comment)
LID = Link ID number (id number of the link reviewed/commented on.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello

thanks,

- sorry, i've read at the end of your instructions the differents features, but i don't click on them, i'm so dumb Tongue

- thanks for your reply for id/lid,
so if I understand good (my english is so bad), for a link with ID 5 in links.db, all comments about this links will have always LID=5.

- Have U tried on your site to submit a comment after have the following error : "Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again! Your rating '--- ' is invalid"?

I've tested it again on your site,
but when i've got the error message, i've always got it...

Thanks

Jude

Quote Reply
- thanks for your reply for id/lid,
so if I understand good (my english is so bad), for a link with ID 5 in links.db, all comments about this links will have always LID=5.

yep that's right.

- Have U tried on your site to submit a comment after have the following error : "Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again! Your rating '--- ' is invalid"?

Yep I've tested it again and it still works fine. (Although I have altered my comments_error page) Were you trying to resbumit from there?

Good Luck!

Glenn

Quote Reply
Hello

me again...
i try the following :
- add a comment for your aracon link :
http://findarom.emusanet.com/commentsid.cgi?ID=171

- i put nothing in the form and submit it, so i get the following error :
Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again! Your rating '--- ' is invalid.

- now i fill out the form completly and good, i've got the a new msg error :
Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again!

LID (Too long. Max length: 8)

(this mornig i haven't LID (too long...) only the first lines)

- i fill out the form and i've got a success message.

In your site, if i got a first error with the form, i should submit the form 2 times (the second time is allright), but on my installation of your mod, i've never success message, when I've got an error at first.
- Perhaps i don't install your mod correctly?

- How can I put error message like LID (to long max 8) on my site?

Jude

Ps: i've made the same test for links A+Roms (283),
after a blanked form, i've submited a complete and good form, i've got the same error : LID (Too long. Max length: 8), and after i've submited again the same form, and it's allright.
PS2 : please delete my 2 comments
PS3 : i've installed again your mod, still the error with submit a comment after an error. I don't understand, because i've only installed links 2.01 and your mod, with blank links.db, ...
PS4: csearch.cgi works very fine Laugh

thanks for your help Laugh
Quote Reply
Hello

I’ve remplaced <input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>"> by <%error%> in comments2_error.html.

But now when I tried to submit a comment after have the error message « Error Adding Comment », Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again!
I’ve got a new error message :
« Sorry there was an error adding your comment. Please fill out the form and try again!
&#61623; LID (Can not be left blank)
&#61623; Rating (Invalid format) »

I think LID is blank because i’ve erased <input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>">…
But when I let it, i’ve still got the mesage : « unknown tag : ID » !

It’s strange because the is <input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>"> in comments2_add.html, and i don’t have the error message « unknown tag : ID » with comments2_add.html…

Is there a way to not have « unknown tag : ID » with comments2_error.html ? ? ?
Or if i remplaced <input type="HIDDEN" NAME="LID" VALUE="<%ID%>"> by <%error%>, to not have
&#61623; LID (Can not be left blank)
&#61623; Rating (Invalid format) » ? ? ?

BTW, the title of the site doesn’t appear, i’ve still got the message :
Please fill out the form completely, and we'll add your comment/review on <%Title%> as soon as possible.
Perhaps i don’t install your mod correctly… i’ll try it again.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Hello

Is anyone succeded with installation of Glenn's comments2?
I know that Glenn haven't so enough time, now, and I undestand him.

But perhaps someone have installed it with no problem?

Everything works for me, except "Unknow tag ID" after posting a non-completed form submit, and if deleted tag about ID in comments2error_html, after submit a non completed form, i could never submit a completed form with success.

thanks Laugh

Quote Reply
hmmm, glenn's mod went in without a hiccup .... tried to non-input everything except for the rating but it came out clean (well, my html is still a little screwy ... hehe have to work on my site some more)

do you have in your comments2_derror.html ?:

<input type="HIDDEN" name="LID" value="<%ID%>">

I'd go back over your html and comments_add.cgi and look for mysterious invisible \204 characters, aparently glenn used netscape for posting his mods and I found these wierd characters every once in a while. But then again I'm a MAC user and this could be a cross platform problem.

interesting, I hate to say this but maybe you should go back over all the code again (like me I find problems on the 4th re-re-re-recheck ... oh well life I guess.)

I'll check back on this post to see if you're still having problems.

> >