Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Email Webmaster Option Yes/No

Quote Reply
Email Webmaster Option Yes/No
Hi :)

I'm using the email webmaster mod which is here cgi-resource.co.uk/pages/links2mods.shtml

Is there any way to add an option in the links submission section which will allow the link submitter to either have this option on or off in there listing, so if they do not want any visitor emailing them they can opt to switch it off...

Quote Reply
Re: [Katie Venra] Email Webmaster Option Yes/No In reply to
you could create a yes/no field like the receive email field and then do an IF statement in the link.html file.

I created a "public email" field and used that in the link.html file. I made it a non-required field.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] Email Webmaster Option Yes/No In reply to
youve lost me :(
Quote Reply
Re: [Katie Venra] Email Webmaster Option Yes/No In reply to
To give the linkowner the option for receiving emails, you will need to add a field to the links files. You have two options.

One, you can create the field as a yes/no field in the link.def file and modify the links.db file, add it to your add/modify html files ( assuming you are using the Templates option ) and finally, use an IF statement to control whether or not to display the Contact Email field in the link.html file.

Two, you can create the field similar to the Contact Email field in the link.def file, add it to your add/modify html files ( assuming you are using the Templates option ) and finally, display the new email field in the link.html file ( you can use an IF statement to control the printing of the field prompt if you want ).

I opted for the second method. Thus, I had two email fields in my database. Then when I displayed the add/modify pages, the linkowner had to fill out the Contact Email field ( so I could send him emails ) but had the option to leave the "public" email field blank. I had a little help msg for the public email field which told the linkowner to leave the field blank if they did not want to receive emails from their listings. I also pointed it out in emails to them just so they would know that they had elected NOT to receive emails from their listing. I favored this option since they could serparate the emails from me from the emails from surfers.

If adding fields and using IF statments are not familiar to you, search the forums for help with those topics.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."