Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link

Quote Reply
New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link
This is a simple modification that adds "Dead Link?" next to "Rate It!" in your links. Unlike normal scripts I've adapted it to take the title of the link and auto-insert it into the form. The form is basic but you can add more fields if required.

Please note that I AM NOT A CODER and have only adapted these scripts, not written them. This mod is written for site_html.pl and NOT Templates. Maybe someone can adapt them further or supply the required tags for Templates.

If you would like to see how I have implemented "Dead Link?" on our site visit http://www.audiotoolsdirect.com and select any category. Under each listing you will see "Dead Link?", click this to view the form but PLEASE DO NOT PRESS SUBMIT or I'll be very busy chasing up links that are OK.

Once submitted you will receive something similar to:

Referer: http://www.audiotoolsdirect.com/All_In_One/
ID: 1253
Title: AV Music Morpher
E-mail: sender@email.com

This is all dependent on what form fields you decide to implement.

The files required are attached to this post. If I can be of any help please post here and I'll do whatever I can.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link In reply to
I don't see how this differs from Paul Wilson's mod for reporting a deadlink, except for the checkboxes for what link to report. Paul's is template-based, and also verifies reported deadlinks, and if they are not dead, the report will not be sent to me, and an error message will state to the reporter that the link cannot be reported dead (see below). This stops the chasing routine you mentioned. I use this mod on my site.

----
Error Reporting Deadlink
The following error was encountered while verifying the deadlink report:
After verification, we find the status of this link to be 200 =(OK 200), therefore you cannot report it!
Thank you for trying.
----

I do appreciate folks who post mods they have come up with, so please do not be upset. Unsure

BTW, I like how you have your site set up, and it looks like useful info! Cool

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: Apr 2, 2004, 1:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link In reply to
Basically I couldn't find what I was looking for so thought I'd have a go myself. Once I got it to work I thought I'd share it with anyone else who might find it useful.

The only deadlink mod I could find in the forums was the one that allows the user to delete the link. I just wanted something simple and as we also use a template for our listings I needed to adapt it for that.

If it's the same as somebody else's then I apologise and you're welcome to remove it from the forum if neccessary.

Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link In reply to
The mod used to be in the Resource Section, but I just tried it and it seems to be unavailable. I attached the mod to a previous post, maybe you can adapt in the verify part, or...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=250132#250132

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] New(ish) Mod: Report A Dead Link In reply to
In Reply To:
----
Error Reporting Deadlink
The following error was encountered while verifying the deadlink report:
After verification, we find the status of this link to be 200 =(OK 200), therefore you cannot report it!
Thank you for trying.
----
Cool

I've found in my experience that it's best to check them anyway. If the site you're linking to uses a freeserver, if there is no site there it will default to the freeserver's home page resulting in a 200 and not a 404. Having a visitor report this far outways a script or link checker simply reporting what it sees.Wink