Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Not Writeable - HELP

Quote Reply
Not Writeable - HELP
Hey all,

Okay first here is my setup: Sun box running Solaris 8. It is internal and I have full telnet and ftp access to the box. All the settings are pretty much out-of-the-box defaults.

I uploaded via FTP the install files into my /var/apache/cgi-bin, and then did the install via Telnet. I can login and everything looks fine. However when I go to edit a file I get the "Not Writeable" error message.

I did search the forums and saw that some people had a problem relating to the ownership of the files. When I login it shows the owner as root. I use the root account to login and do work (this is just a test box, so please don't get on my case about security). I tried chmod 755 and 777 on the /var/apache/htdocs (HTML directory) just to see if it would make a difference. No luck.

Any ideas? I saw something about using a CGIWraper, but if I don't need to install any additional software I would prefer not to. Thanks in advance!

mvollmer
Quote Reply
Re: [mvollmer] Not Writeable - HELP In reply to
Quote:
Any ideas? I saw something about using a CGIWraper, but if I don't need to install any additional software I would prefer not to. Thanks in advance!

Do you have suEXEC enabled? If so you need to chown/chgrp the files to the same user/group that suEXEC is set up to use. If not they need to be chown/chgrp'd to the same user/group that Apache is running as. At the very least the suEXEC/Apache user needs read/write access to work with the files.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Not Writeable - HELP In reply to
Hey Chaz,

I am guessing I do not have suEXEC enabled if it is not enabled by default with Apache. Is there a way I can check? I am sorry if I sound like a total newbie here, but I am more of a Windows guy and am still getting used to Solaris.

If I do have it enabled what exactly do I need to do? Again, sorry to be so dependent, but I am still learning a lot of this. Thanks again for your help so far!

mvollmer
Quote Reply
Re: [mvollmer] Not Writeable - HELP In reply to
If you see a suexec binary in the Apache sbin then it is most likely enabled. When Apache starts up and sees that binary it will also print a message to the error_log I think. Check the suEXEC manual for more info. Once you figure out who the proper user is, most likely "nobody" in your case, then you would need to chown and chgrp the files to that user and set the proper permissions. That would be something like 644 for non executables and 755 for executables. Check the man pages or google for those two commands. They are pretty simple to figure out.

~Charlie