Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Protect problem

Quote Reply
Protect problem
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but here's what I did.
1. Created a New directory via the fileadmin
2. Protected it with one user

Then when I try to access any part of the site outside of the specific directory I needed that user/password combination to gain access. Also, was then locked out of the fileadmin area.

I then went in via SSH as root and accessed this clients site and removed the .htaccess/.htpasswd, which was not placed in the specific directory but in the "web" directory.

Am I missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: [icuglobalA] Protect problem In reply to
Okay, it's been a couple of days and yet again when I try Password Protecting a specific directory under a clients site (ie: root/web/dirname), the .htaccess & .htpasswd files get dumped into the web directory, thus password protecting the site as a whole. This is not good. Shouldn't the .htaccess & .htpasswd files be put into the directory being protected? Then I have to go in via SSH and delete the htaccess/htpasswd files. As it currently stands I can't release this to my clients as if they try to password protect they're going to get a not so pleasant surprise, and I'm going to get a big headache.

I even went into Preferences and requested an alternate Password Default Directory and same problem on accessing instead now I have to go into 2 different directories to delete files.

As none of my clients have Telnet/Shell access they aren't able to make the corrections so the responsibility falls to me.

Am I missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: [icuglobalA] Protect problem In reply to
Hi,

Very strange. What happens if you clear out in preferences the Password Default Directory? This should only control where the .htpasswd file gets placed though, not the .htaccess.

Is it at all possible to get access to the system? Send me an email at alex@gossamer-threads.com if so.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Protect problem In reply to
Same problem whether Preferences is changed or set to default, which is all empty.

Alisa
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Protect problem In reply to
Alex,

The light has shown through.

I don't know if I was doing it wrong from the git-go, but at least on a Mac the procedure is as follows:

1. If directory doesn't already exist create it.
2. Then click on the directory to access it (do not check box next to dir)
3. Once accessing the directory to be protected then select Protect. Enter info.

Then that works and the directory, not the site is protected.

If I was doing it right by just clicking on the box next to the dir to be protected then this is definitely a Mac issue. If I wasn't then I think we need to create a FAQ/HOW-TO for using this function. Especially for the end-user/clients.

Feeling stupid.

Alisa