Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Gmail integration! with G community

Quote Reply
Gmail integration! with G community
Dear all,

I have integrate Glinks sql, Gforum and Gmail installing for each the related plugin.

Now links sql and Gforum are working quite good, when with Gmail I am still having problem : users are not directed to the inbox of the webmail (only reloading the user_home page of community)

any hint?

Thanks

Antoine

Quote Reply
Re: [antoined] Gmail integration! with G community In reply to
I've the same problem!

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Gmail integration! with G community In reply to
Hi,

Did you install the latest version of the Auth_Community plugin into Gossamer Mail? Also, what version of Gossamer Mail are you using?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gmail integration! with G community In reply to
Auth_Community = Latest Version

GMail=2.2.0

Cheers,

Manuel

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
By the way:

+ if I subscribe as a new user, I'll be redirected to the GMail-inbox correctly

+ if I subscribe as a user who allready exists in gmail before community-installation, I'm redirected to Users_home.html (User is correctly imported into GComm)

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Hi,

Importing from multiple products is still a tricky business (i.e. if you have user foo in the forum, and user foo@domain.com in Gossamer Mail and user foo@domain2.com in Gossamer Mail, how do they merge together?).

You need to make sure you import your users into Community and that they are setup and tied to the proper Gossamer Mail users. It might be worth having us to do this as a custom job to make sure everything is imported and setup properly.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

This sounds labor intensive, and a great idea for a perl hack.

You guys know what fields from each program Community needs to run with, so it would be easier if you guys came up with at least the shell of this.

But, a program that asks for each of the programs you want to import from, and does a "merge" on the users. If it finds users with the same ID it flags them, and moves them to a new list. Because of encryption, it's probably not easy to see if the passwords match (unless they always encrypt to the same string), but if the passwords can be matched, it's a safe bet the same ID/PW combination is the same user (or same validated email address).

Unique ID's are imported from the program they are originally found in, duplicate ID's are entered into a new database for special handling.

A person could "group" their ID's if they log on to the interface, and enter the correct password for each ID they want to merge.

This is going to be a *big* problem for the near future, for loads of sites that set up years ago, and now need to merge a forum, links and email. Automating it would be a really, really *big* thing to get people to migrate.

I have about 30 needs for this. I'd like to merge _all_ my sites into one uniform log on, but that seems to be down the road a bit. But, for the sites that I'm setting up now, which have a Links and Forum, merging the two is a need. Doing it manually is problematic -- at best.
  1. What about a "unified logon".

A version of community that runs like an "arbitrator" rather than a "passport". This version of community tracks the ID's entered on other community systems, and either rejects, or allows an ID, depending on whether it already exists on another site. When it's set up, it imports the Community database of each of the communities set up. When a user registers with a community, the "arbitrator" site is checked first, the ID flagged as pending, and when the user successfully registers with that community site, the ID is flagged "taken". If not, it times out in 5 days (several days longer than the default community time-out).

When the "remote logons" feature of Community is enabled, this "arbitrator" is the site that is used to set up the "main" community site. It knows all the ID's on all the other communities, and can import them and set them up.
  2. And, for the importing of a single site with multiple apps, if a new user database is set up, with an ID field, not just the Username, as PK, then all records could be imported, duplicate ID's can be selected out, into a second database, and the rest of the ID's imported from that file into community. The duplicate Username file, could be managed manually (if the accounts have the same email, the admin can set up one account, set up a password, and the usre would have to request it next time they log on, but they would have a unified account). If the usernames are belonging to different people, the admin would have to come up with a way to arbitrate them. I think Gossamer Forum would take priority, since it's interactive, and people actually know you by the ID.

Just some ideas, but if you (GT) can work out a shell for this, I would be willilng to flesh it out, and I'm sure Andy would help. This is a big deal, and the importance of working out a script to do it at this time can't be over stressed.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I don't really understand what you mean.

I had a user marc@handymail.info at GMail before I've installed the GCommunity.

This user was not registered in LinksSQL or GForum.

Then I've installed GCommunity with GMail, LinksSQL and GFrorum and imported all the users and made them users of all the tree installations.

The user marc@handymail.info was imported absolutely correct. So now the user marc@handymail.info do exist in GForum and LinksSQL (which works fine with this username) and STILL in GMail (as the users was existing there before). BUT now I can't login with the username at GMail, because if I use this username to log into Gmail, I'm always redirected to the users_home.html of community.

THIS MEANS: No one of the users who had an GMail-Account before I've installed GCommunity can now log into their GMail-Accounts any more while new users CAN.

So how can they get their eMails?

Cheers,

Manuel

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Jan 17, 2004, 2:56 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

what I've detected is that for the user above in the Community-Users-table there is

app_GMail = 0

app_GMail_userid = 6

shouldn't that be:

app_GMail = 2

app_GMail_userid = 6

??????????????????????????

Cheers,

Manuel

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, it should be 2. 0 == not created, doesn't have an account in Gossamer Mail, 1 == created but not allowed in, 2 == created and allowed in.

As a quick fix, you can enable all users to have access to Gossamer Mail (goto Applications and click on Modify for that application).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply.

I did it via SQL-command:

UPDATE comm_users SET app_GMail = 2 WHERE app_GMail = 0 AND app_GMail_userid > 0;

Cheers,

Manuel

Regards,
Manu

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Jan 18, 2004, 3:16 AM