Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : MySQLMan :

Getting Started...

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Getting Started...
I have the script installed, yet am confused. It runs, but I cannot get it to work. I go to the login screen. What is the 'HOST'? Is it my domain name? If so, do I use the user name and password that I use to access my account on the virtual server?

Enough for now...

Quote Reply
Re: Getting Started... In reply to
Ok, I have confirmed that my username and password works and my host is listed as my domain name, but I get a 'login failed' error from the script...

Quote Reply
Try using localhost for the host and make sure you are using the user ID and password for your MySQL database, not you virtual hosting account. I had the same problem and it turned out that I needed localhost instead of our domain name. It really depends on how your host set it up though. Make sure you uploaded ALL the files in ASCII mode. Double check that if localhost doesn't work.

Good luck,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Ok..I have used 'localhost' and my database user name and password. I still cannot access the database. I tried the bypass to the login and I get the database name showing at the top, but the minute I click on tables or other area I get the following error:

Connection to MySQL failed. The hostname may be different or the server may be down. Please enter a new hostname and try again.

When I put in the host, user and password it forwards to a feedback screen that says:

Host name/User name/Password Stored.
You should be transferred to the page you were at automatically. If not please click "Back" to go back.

then is sends me back to the original screen and when I click on an area I get the error above again..

What am I missing?

Quote Reply
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I uploaded the .cfg and .pm files in binary rather than ASCII. I used CuteFTP with auto-detect and I did not pay attention to the status messages. I really don't know what else to tell you if that doesnt work. You might want to see if you can get phpMyAdmin working: http://www.mysql.com/.../contrib.html#SEC592 The link is under the "Web Clients" section. If you cannot get that to work you will need to talk to your host.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
I had manually changed the upload to ASCII before I started and then resent the to .jpg files in binary. Then I set all the permissions.

One thing (maybe) is that I sent up the entire folder to the cgi-bin as it unpacked (so I have to go to a folder called "mysqlman" to access the script) and in there are all the folders for the 'GT', 'help' and 'templates'. Whould that effect it somehow?

Quote Reply
I noticed that CuteFTP was warning me that the files in the 'GT' folder we not transfered properly in ASCII so I sent them in Binary and the went fine. (You know, this folder is not even mentioned in the README.) There is mention of a GT_Template and a GT_Base which are not included but there are several files with .pm extensions in the GT folder) I guess I am not sure if I am handling the install correctly since the README doesn't jive...

Quote Reply
You know... In reply to
is there any other place to get php mySQLadmin than these where they use the 'sourceforge' for download? I cannot get it from them due to some incompatability with my system. I keep getting a complization(?) error.

Quote Reply
Re: You know... In reply to
All the subdirs need to be uploaded as well and in ASCII. It has been a long time since I installed it so I don't remember the readme that well. I will have to take a look at it again. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send you the .tgz file for phpMyAdmin. I thought the link I gave above gave you a list of links straight to the .tgz file at www.mysql.com? I will see if they have an alternate link.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Ok. I got the php In reply to
..but this is not for beginners/intermediates....I hope someone can help me with this version...

Quote Reply
Re: Ok. I got the php In reply to
Give me a few minutes to look at how I have it installed on my local PC and to take a look at the readme again. We should be able to get it working.

Quote Reply
You're correct, the readme doesn't show the GT dir. Make sure that it is uploaded (ASCII mode again) inside your mysqlman dir and is CHMOD to 755 along with the help dir and the templates dir. Check the permissions on all the other files & dirs while you are at it. Open up mysql.cgi and set:

$SCRIPT_PATH = '.';

(about line 24) to the correct path. i.e.:
$SCRIPT_PATH = '/home/domain/www/cgi-bin/mysqlman';

Start there and let me know how that goes.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
I will do this right now. But CuteFTP is telling me the files in the GT folder are not transfering correctly in ASCII but it does appear to work in binary....any suggestions?

Quote Reply
It tells me that all the time too. It says something about carriage returns and line feeds but it still works. Try deleting the files on the server first. It has to be uploaded in ASCII.

Quote Reply
What do I set the CHMOD to for the files in the GT folder?

Quote Reply
Working on script In reply to
Open up mysql.cgi and set:

$SCRIPT_PATH = '.'; (IT IS SET AT THIS CURRENTLY)

(about line 24) to the correct path. i.e.:
$SCRIPT_PATH = '/home/domain/www/cgi-bin/mysqlman'; (DO I INSERT THIS? THERE IS NO SUCH PATH CURRENTLY - THE $SCRIPT PATH LISTED ABOVE IT LINE 23 AND 24 IS BLANK - I DON'T SEE ANYTHING CLOSE)

BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR THE TIME ON THIS!

Quote Reply
Re: Working on script In reply to
Sorry...I get it now...let me change this..

Quote Reply
Ok...I have changed the

$SCRIPT_PATH = '.';

to

$SCRIPT_PATH = '/usr44/home/hwdesign/public_html/cgi-bin/mysqlman';

Is this correct?

Quote Reply
CHMOD the GT dir to 755. It sounds like you figured out what I was saying the "$SCRIPT_PATH = '.';" thing, change it to match your path. Any luck yet?

Quote Reply
Sorry about the # of posts:

Am I supposed to put 'localhost' on the 'host' category or do I leave it blank?

Quote Reply
Here is my config:

In Reply To:
#!/usr/bin/perl
%CONFIG=(script_url => 'mysql.cgi',
home_url => '/',
template_dir => $SCRIPT_PATH . "/templates",
help_dir => $SCRIPT_PATH . "/help",
direct_connect => 1,
direct_db => 'mysql_db_name',
direct_host => 'localhost',
direct_port => '',
direct_user => 'user_name',
direct_pass => 'password',
page_length => 20,
default_sort => 0,
show_null => 1,
show_timestamp_field => 0,
confirm_delete_record => 1,
insert_null => 1,
insert_origin => 'insert',
dump_in_pages => 0,
dump_page_length => 1000,
db_host_cookie_name => 'MySQLMan_host',
db_user_cookie_name => 'MySQLMan_username',
db_pass_cookie_name => 'MySQLMan_password',
url_cookie_name => 'MySQLMan_url',
debug => 0);

1;
Try localhost first and see if that works.

Quote Reply
this is great. I am going to walk-away from this for the evening so I can watch the Mariners beat the Angels. If you are going to be around tomorrow, let me know. I will be working on this early, Seattle-time. I need a break from this....thanks for the effort and I will see if my config file works after I modify it tomorrow a.m.

Quote Reply
Sounds good. I will check in at some point tomorrow.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
Day 2 In reply to
Ok...so much for the Mariners...fresh start!

1) I deleted all the files to get a fresh start;
2) I uploaded all files in ASCII except 2 jpgs (binary)
3) I set all permissions to 644 except mysql.cgi and the directories (set to 755)
4) My config is the same as yours (except for db name,user and password with one execption...my config files does not have a reference to perl at the top. It does have the correct reference to perl on the cgi...is this a problem?
5) Also, I am modifying the config in Wordpad since it is too large for Notepad, could this corrupt it?

Quote Reply
Re: Day 2 In reply to
In Reply To:
5) Also, I am modifying the config in Wordpad since it is too large for Notepad, could this corrupt it?
It should be OK as long as you saved it as plain text. I posted the complete contents of my cfg file above so notepad should of handled it though.

Have you been able to get it working yet?

Regards,
Charlie

> >