Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished!

(Page 3 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod --- Finished! In reply to

Quote:
Very useful program filled with thousands of bugs.
widgetz you crack me up!

First...how cool, after all this time of people wanting a review mod, suddenly there are two very cool ones out there. Way to go guys.

Second...if you guys could please clarify some things for me (bear with me if you've already said any of this...I got lost in all the $ talk).

--neither of these mods use the existing ratings in my db, right (seperate db)? I don't think I would care, except I have remote ratings forms all over the place. If the existing ratings and links.db aren't used...those forms will all be broken. Not a good thing. Any thoughts on this?

--Is it possible to have registration be an optional thing (like an on/off switch I can change when I want)?

CEGlobe: What did you mean by "I'll add in a little something that will let you have up to four ratings, and as little as one"? Also, how does the "# of Ratings" part work? Does it require UBB registration?

widgetz: is yours generating pages, or on the fly?

Thanks
Quote Reply
mine doesn't use the rating script..
mine is done both ways.. but the example i have shown is done on the fly cause its an example Smile

mine can easily be put onto the detailed page or any page.. as long as it has the hash %rec or %tmp with the link info in it..

mine is going to have a user db.. a simple on e and a very complex one that many of you have seen in my pdamania.com admin (which is still unfinished)..

ask ceglobe.. he says mine is better :P

jerry

the reason they came out on the same time..

1. i had mine practically finished with all the technical stuff 3 weeks ago when james first asked for it.. Smile less than a week ago.. everyone told ce what to make Smile and i told him what to make over icq.. i said.. not a admin mod or a review db mod.. but he went ahead and did the review mod Smile at first i thought ce was going to charge for it.. so before i wasted anyones money.. i wanted to get mine out asap..

it will be out.. but i think not today.. i have a few things to clean up..

jerry
Quote Reply
oh yea.. brad

i know you have an email in my box.. hehe but i can't get to it til tuesday.. there is a really important reason why also..

ce ment you can have up to 4 rating fields..

ie: 1 for overall.. 1 for design.. 1 for how it looks in the dark.. 1 for how it looks upsidedown..

mine has unlimited.. :P i think ce's does too.. cause i practically gave him the code.. hehe

anyways. hehe.. i love this Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
lol tim

i read your first post.. hehe and now you modded the whole thing..

k.. i've got span pages and all the stuff you guys wanted.. now i'm going to work a little on the technical issues of the administration..

jerry
Quote Reply
ok.. mine now updates the html version of ratings.. (ie: Added: $date Rating: $rating Votes: $votes)

i beleive i need one more thing though.. to delete all reviews when the link is deleted..

Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
double post.. hehe

[btw.. ceglobes doesn't update the rating.. :P (hehe.. dogging)]

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
ok.. uhh i beleive it's now done..

(just need to fix up the layout.. hehe)

http://www.pdamania.com/review.cgi?ID=1001

i have mass validation turned on.. so you can just say

"Build All" in the admin

http://demo:demo@www.pdamania.com/admin/

i need someone to help me make the template version (instructions).. please email.. jsu7785@email.com

jerry
Quote Reply
There was once a thread (or two, or three) regarding having the ability to allow the user to submit individual text write-ups as reviews. For my purposes, I'd like the reviews to be validated, then build static detail pages. While these "rate-it" review mods are fresh in their respective developers' minds, I'd like to ask if either (or both) could be recast to serve that need?

Bob

ps If so, please start a new thread --this one is over 100K !!

[This message has been edited by bjordan (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
i very well know mine could Smile

jerry (trying to increase the file size as least as possible)

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I think this thread needs to be closed. Now don't get all excited about that, it is not what you think. This thread, as someone said, is now well over 100K in length.

The thread was originally started by CEGlobe concerning his CGI-RESOURCE Style Review Mod being finished. However, a competitor also started posting in here about his own competing mod. That shouldn't have happened. Instead, Widgetz, it would have been better for you to start your own thread to disucss your mod. I'm not trying to be critical, but discussing your mod (and mentioning over and over again that it was free, as opposed to CEC's non-free one) in a thread started by a competitor was, in my honest opinion, discourteous. Yes, I know, you and CEGlobe probably get along on very friendly terms, but your comments distracted from the intent of this thread and only added to the now great length of this thread.

In the future, I hope that each of you continue to publish your mods (you both apparently do excellent work from the comments I keep seeing here). Please keep the discussions about competing works in separate threads as a courtesy to each other.

So, CEGlobe, should this thread be closed and a new one started?

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hmm.. I suggest that for any thread that reaches the number of 50 should be closed. 50 should be the max post. What do you think Bobsie?
Quote Reply
Don't worry about starting a new one Bobsie.

Just close it. Anyone who wants to can read it. I am helping out a little with Widgetz MOd now.

------------------
Quote Reply
yea.. he made a preversion of the ubb version of mine cause i don't use ubb.. (thanks!)

being very courteous Smile

jerry
> >