Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

what does enable mean?

Quote Reply
what does enable mean?
I have "enable users" selected as default when importing from gmail db. Looks like users are imported no problem 100%. Login works (even long email address logins! thanks:). I link to the webmail.cgi from the community home page... but it goes right back to the community home page? Not to the mail page.

So i double check the status of the user. Is indeed enabled in community, but not in applications? What is the difference?

OK. So I try to enable in applications but the email address is already in use! Of course it is, I imported from the mail db... what am i doing wrong here?

Bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] what does enable mean? In reply to
Nope, can't figure out how to enable users imported from a gmail database. Please advise.

Bob

Quote Reply
Bob:

I had the same problem when I imported users from GTForum and LinksSQL. I just ran two simple SQL commands, like this:

Update comm_users set app_NAME = '2'

where app_name is what you call the program you are importing from. Check the table to make sure you have the right name.

Or, prior to importing, you can set the default on that column = '2'

Hope that helps!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] what does enable mean? In reply to
Thanks for the reply Dave. I do not know how to run sql commands but I would love to learn. I am using PHPmyadmin for MySql. Can you explain how to do as you suggest? i would appreciate your help.

Bob

Quote Reply
Hey Bob:

You can do it directly from GTComm, if you want (although I am sure you can also use PHPmyadmin...)

Simply log on as admin, go to Databases > SQL Monitor

Enter the query and run it.

BE VERY CAREFUL when running queries here- you can screw up or loose your ENTIRE database! Know exactly what you are running... and if you have any doubts, back up first!

I often run trial queries before the one that changes data, just to make sure I am effectinging thew rows I want.

In any case, the query you should run is:

update comm_user set app_XXX = '2'

this changes data, but does not delete it!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Thanks Dave. I ran the query but it said

"Your query returned 0 rows."

and as far as i can tell nothing changed?

bob

Quote Reply
Did you replace the XXX with the application name?

If yes, I think something went wrong with your user-import and you don't have any imported users from that application.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] what does enable mean? In reply to
Thanks for the reply Manu.

I saw the gmail users in the users list before running the query. I replaced XXX with the keyword name I chose for the application. I will try overwriting and starting from scratch today.

Bob

Quote Reply
If you are going to do that, change the default of the field app_XXX to "2"- then you should not have to run the SQL query.

BTW, what WAS in that field?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
This time it says

'cribob_community.comm_user' doesn't exist

Is there some kind of order to doing this? Here is what i did.
  1. Overwrote and erased the db
  2. Added gmail application
  3. imported gmail user
  4. ran sql query

Bob

Quote Reply
Dave, how dod I look at the app_mail field to see what is in it? How do I set the default before importing from gmail? PHPmyadmin is a bit overwhelming to me at this point.

bob

Quote Reply
Hi:

I do not know PHPmyadmin, but it should be similar to MySQLMan!

Log in, and open the table comm_user. "Browse" (or similar commannd) and you should see all the column names, and the data in them!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Well my community install BETA 1 (i cannot upgrade right now) seems not to auto-enable users for gforum and linksql when they sign up...
How can I enable ALL users for gforum and LinkSQL with a SQL query?
Thanks
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] what does enable mean? In reply to
Hi,

now that community BETA2 is out, we should concentrate in killing bugs of beta2!

It's not really clear to me, why you still use beta1 if there is a much better beta version out where over 50 bug-fixes are made!

I understand if someone doesn't do every upgrade if a newer version is out, but while this is a beta-version and should also be tested I think upgrading is recommended (this would also speed up the release of a first final and stable version as I think)!

Also I think (don't understand me wrong, in generally it's ok) asking issues to beta1 isn't that much helpful for maybe the bug is already fixed in beta2 or maybe people get confused by these questions and get to a point where they not really know what things work and what things not at the moment.

[That's just my point of view]

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] what does enable mean? In reply to
I know. I can't upgrade right now because I'm using an hack made by a programmer and he can't work on every beta release... I wish to update too but I'm forced to wait Unsure

Someone has an answer to my question?
Thanks
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)